Location: The work can be conducted remotely
Duration: 2/3 months (from December 2022-February 2023)
Experience: Minimum 5 years of professional experience in supporting organizational management/development, and knowledge of the Ecumenical movement
Language: Fluent in English
Deadline for applications: 18/11/2022
About ACT Alliance
ACT Alliance is one of the world’s largest coalition of churches and church-related organisations engaged in humanitarian, development and advocacy work. It consists of 144 members working together in over 120 countries, with headquarters in 73 countries, whose aim is to create a positive and sustainable change in the lives of poor and marginalised people regardless of their religion, politics, gender, sexual orientation, race or nationality in keeping with the highest international codes and standards. 64% of our members are headquartered in the Global South, 30% in the Global North, and 6% are Global members. For more details about the general work of ACT, please refer to http://www.act.acw/.
The ACT Alliance Membership Engagement Model was approved at the 2018 General Assembly in Uppsala, Sweden. The rationale for the model is based both on a need to contribute to a future vision of an alliance membership that is inclusive and enables engagement of members according to their interest and capacity and adds more meaning to the ecumenical cooperation and work of national and regional forums, as well as to address some existing barriers to membership for smaller local members and to active engagement of members.
Objectives of the Consultancy
The objective of the consultancy is to develop an analysis report on the efficacy of the Membership Engagement Model since its full implementation in 2020. The report will respond to three key questions:
- Did the Membership Engagement Model foster an active engagement in the alliance?
Active engagement is defined at a member level and at an individual level:
- At a member level, engagement in the life of the alliance includes examples such as active participation in a relevant ACT forum, implementing or funding an ACT appeal, staff representation in communities of practice, reference groups, governance bodies or advisory committees, hosting of events, providing secondments, being part of an advocacy campaign, etc.
- At an individual level, engagement in the life of the alliance includes examples such as personal engagement in communities of practice, reference groups, governance bodies, forum coordination, etc. It applies minimally to the following situations, but can be extended to others as required:
- Attending the General Assembly and voting in the Assembly.
- Serving on the Governing Board, or on a Committee (MNC, Finance Committee, etc.).
- Serving as member of strategic advisory bodies (advisory groups, etc.).
- Did the forum fee fulfil the intention of increasing forum engagement and resources for the ACT forums?
One objective of the engagement model is to stimulate dynamic forums as national, sub-regional and regional hubs of ACT membership. The ‘Forum Fee’ of USD 1,000. – per member organization (monetary or in-kind value according to certain thresholds) to each forum where it is a member, has replaced the membership fee, seeking to increase the sense of ownership and responsibility of all members towards the ACT forums as one key structure of the alliance. The decisions on how to use the forum fees to further the work of the alliance are made at the forum level. The forum convenor is responsible on an annual basis to ensure that all members of the forum have contributed their forum fees.
- Did the Membership Engagement Model reduce the administrative burden on the ACT secretariat in tracking forum fee payments and documenting member engagement?
The model was designed to ease the burden of the secretariat in monitoring payment of the membership fee with members not able or willing to pay.
Scope of the Consultancy:
During a three-month period, the consultant will conduct the following:
- Develop and Define Analysis Framework
Develop and define an analysis framework for conducting the assessment. The analysis framework should outline the key pillars of the assessment, provide a detailed technical approach and the analytical process for the consultancy. The consultant should consider the ACT Quality & Accountability Framework and the Code of Good Practice in his/her approach.
- Information Gathering
- Conduct a desk review of ACT policies, documents and processes relevant to understanding the engagement model and its impact since implementation.
- Identify a sample of key respondents, draft standardized questions and conduct research through a combination of interviews, surveys and focus group discussions.
- Analysis and Report Writing
Provide a comprehensive report and analysis of the Membership Engagement Model with recommendations for continuation or change of policy.
- Analysis framework
- Desk research report and key respondent data
- Draft and final analysis report with recommendations
- Presentation of the report
The consultant will work in collaboration with the members of the ACT Alliance’s Membership and Nominations Committee (MNC) and will submit a report and conduct presentation to the group.
The task is expected to be completed in around three months (maximum 30 days) and will ideally commence in December 2022, depending on availability. The work is to be conducted remotely.
Important Note: We kindly ask you to read ACT’s Code of Conduct. All consultants are required to sign the ACT Code of Conduct when entering into any kind of engagement with ACT Alliance and are expected to strictly maintain the confidentiality of all documents shared/produced during this assignment.
HOW TO APPLY
Tender process: Only registered consultants or companies shall be considered. Qualified and interested parties should send their tender application to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 24.00 CET 18/11/2022.
In your tender, please include:
- Expression of Interest, including time estimation
- CV of the consultant(s)
- Justification of consultancy or company registration
- Samples of/or links to previous consultancy work completed
- List of 3 professional reference persons
- Financial offer: gross daily rate for the consultancy in USD, EURO or CHF – including administrative overheads, taxes and charges.
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted