Location: Home-based, no travel expected
Type of contract: Consultancy
Languages required: English
Experience required: 5 years
Consultancy start target date: 17 July 2023
Duration of Contract: 30 working days
Application deadline: 6 July 2023 5pm (CET)
Interview date: 12 July 2023
About ACT Alliance
ACT Alliance is one of the world’s largest coalition of churches and church-related organisations engaged in humanitarian, development, and advocacy work. It consists of 149 members working together in over 120 countries, with headquarters in 73 countries, whose aim is to create a positive and sustainable change in the lives of poor and marginalised people regardless of their religion, politics, gender, sexual orientation, race, or nationality in keeping with the highest international codes and standards. 64% of our members are headquartered in the Global South, 30% in the Global North, and 6% are Global members. For more details about the general work of ACT, please refer to http://www.actalliance.org/.
ACT Alliance’s structure is unique, with national, sub-regional and regional forums that bring local, national, regional, and international church-related organisations to work together under the same principles and standards, bringing different skills and expertise to support each other and leverage collective action in humanitarian, development, and advocacy engagement. Thanks to the presence of national ACT forums in over 50 countries, and of its global secretariat in strategic locations (Geneva, New York, Nairobi, Bangkok, Amman, Brussels, Toronto, and Bogota), ACT Alliance is able to bring local and regional concerns to the global arena.
ACT Alliance is determined to support improvement of the effectiveness and quality of humanitarian assistance delivered by members and to strengthen accountability to all stakeholders. The ACT Alliance revised Humanitarian Policy sets out the details of ACT’s humanitarian response and funding mechanisms and it outlines the roles and responsibilities of all ACT members, forums, and the ACT Alliance Secretariat, in relation to ACT appeals. The Secretariat seeks to engage a consultant to work with the Global Humanitarian Operations Manager in the development of operational guidance for implementation of the revised policy, in the form of a Humanitarian Operations Manual.
The consultancy should include three main phases over 30 working days.
1. Desk review of relevant documents as agreed between the consultant and ACT Secretariat: adherence to Core Humanitarian Standard, efficiency and effectiveness of its current operational processes and procedures (3 days).
2. Interviews with key stakeholders: funding and requesting members, ACT Secretariat staff (7 days) to understand how the humanitarian system works in practice and get feedback from the stakeholders of the draft manual.
3. Drafting of the operations manual (20 days)
• Draft operations manual and accompanying guidelines based on an approved outline for feedback
• Final operations manual after receiving feedback from key stakeholders
• Development of accompanying standard templates/tools
Required Skills and Experience
• More than five years of experience in the humanitarian sector with direct experience of developing/publishing humanitarian operational guidance for internal and external audience
• Excellent knowledge of humanitarian quality and accountability standards (CHS & Sphere)
• Familiarity with networked and faith-based organisations
• Familiarity with faith actors in humanitarian response
• Fluent in written and spoken English.
The consultant will report to ACT’s Global Humanitarian Operations Manager with regular check-in throughout the consultancy period.
Only registered consultants or companies shall be considered. Qualified and interested parties should send their tender application titled “Operations manual consultancy” to: email@example.com by 24.00 CET, 6 July 2023.
In your tender, please include:
• Expression of Interest, outlining relevant experience and suggested approach in implementing the Terms of Reference inclusive of delivery timeline up to a maximum of 30 days’ work.
• Consultant CV
• Examples of/or links to previous consultancy work related to the development of humanitarian operational guidance. Proposals without examples of such work will not be shortlisted.
• List of 3 professional references.
• Financial offer: gross daily rate for the consultancy in USD – including administrative overheads, taxes and charges.
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.