Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Languages required: English
Starting Date: Late January / February 2022
Duration of Contract: Up to 21 days over 6 weeks
Deadline for applications: 09th January 2022
ACT Alliance is the largest coalition of Protestant and Orthodox churches and church-related organisations engaged in humanitarian, development and advocacy work in the world. It consists of 138 members working together in over 120 countries to create positive and sustainable change in the lives of poor and marginalised people, regardless of their religion, politics, gender, sexual orientation, race or nationality, in keeping with the highest international codes and standards.
The ACT Security Group (ASG, established in 2007) is a cooperative group consisting of security managers from a number of ACT member organizations. The ASG assists ACT Alliance members to improve their safety and security standards through the sharing of expertise, development of risk management tools and the provision of security trainings.
The ACT Security Group is a unique body, standing apart from a range of other Communities of Practice and Reference Groups within the ACT Alliance. Staffing changes within the ASG have offered an opportunity to review the group’s achievements, its current governance structures, the way it is resourced and the services that it provides to members and other internal stakeholders within the ACT Alliance.
The ASG seeks a consultant to help to assess the purpose and the future direction of the ASG, a structure and management of the group against the needs of its members, the ACT Secretariat and wider ACT Alliance, make concrete recommendations to ensure that the group remains relevant and can be appropriately resourced going forward.
Scope of Consultancy
The main activities of the consultant are expected to be:
Identify the needs of internal stakeholders in the ACT Alliance and how they relate to the ACT Security Group
- Gather information from current members of the ASG, ACT Secretariat and ACT Alliance members to understand their needs.
- Identify where the needs of each group of stakeholders overlap or diverge.
- Assess the resources required to deliver on the needs of internal stakeholders.
Review the management, staffing and current resourcing of the ASG to determine if the needs of ASG Members, the ACT Secretariat and ACT Alliance members are met
- Review the role of the Global Security Advisor and the Finance and Administrative Officer roles in relation to the needs of the ASG, the ACT Secretariat and the wider ACT Alliance.
- Assess the effectiveness of the current ASG management and governance structures.
- Provide recommendations on a management and governance structure that would be a good fit for the identified needs.
- Evaluate the manner in which the activities (and projects) of the ASG are funded and the return on investment for all contributors and those receiving support or buying services.
Support the ACT Security Group and the ACT Alliance Secretariat to redefine the future of the relationship between both bodies
- Assess the evolving needs the ASG and the ACT Secretariat
- Evaluate the role of the ASG in the implementation of the ACT Alliance Global Strategy
- Compare the function, structure and added value of the ASG with existing Communities of Practices and Reference Groups within the ACT Alliance
Approach and Methodology
The consultant is expected to work closely with the members of the ASG and also collaborate with members of the ACT Secretariat to achieve the required objectives. The Consultant’s approach is expected to include, but is not limited to, a desk review of relevant documentation, key informant interviews and other consultation mechanisms.
- A validation workshop to outline findings and agree the future of the ASG
- A revised Terms of Reference for the ASG
- A revised MOU between the ASG and ACT Alliance
- A report with summary of findings and suggestions as to how the ASG should be staffed, managed and governed in the future
- A final ‘face to face’ briefing at the conclusion of this work in a European city (location to be confirmed – and dependent on Covid-19 restrictions).
Required Skills and Experience
- Experience in operational humanitarian security risk management; or operations (required);
- Experience working with faith-based actors would be an asset;
- Good listener, analytical and highly cooperative;
- Effective facilitation skills during discussions and meetings;
- Ability to write high quality, clear and concise reports;
- Sets priorities, meets deadlines and manages time efficiently;
- Experienced consultant for non-profit organisations;
- Highly organised;
- Knowledge of ACT Alliance and the ASG may be an asset but not essential.
The consultant will work in collaboration with the members of the ASG but report to the group’s Chair/Co-Chair.
The consultancy is expected to be conducted over a 6 week period based on a maximum of 21 working days and will commence in late January – early February 2022 on dates to be agreed with the successful candidate. The work can be conducted remotely.
Only registered consultants or companies shall be considered. Qualified and interested parties should send their tender application to: email@example.com by 24.00 CET 09.01.2022
In your tender, please include:
- Expression of Interest, including methodology proposition and time estimation in days (up to a maximum of 21 days). This must include travel to a European city (tbd) to deliver a final face to face briefing.
- CV of the consultant
- Justification of consultancy or company registration. (Nb. Swiss residents with valid Swiss work permits may potentially be hired on a short-term staff contract for this consultancy.)
- Samples of/or links to previous consultancy work completed.
- List of 3 professional reference persons
- Financial offer: gross daily rate for the consultancy in USD, EURO or CHF – including administrative overheads, taxes and charges and total gross cost of the offer. Any pre-approved travel costs and expenses will be reimbursed in addition.
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.