Duty station: To be based in Bogota, Colombia. Open to nationals of any country in Latin America and the Caribbean, dependent on eligibility for work permit in Colombia.
Contract type: fixed term contract
Duration: from hire until year-end 2023, to be extended depending on funds and performance.
Worktime: 100% FTE
Target start date: As soon as possible
Reports to: Regional Representative
Languages required: English and Spanish
Experience: 5 years
Application deadline: 12th of May
About ACT Alliance
ACT Alliance is one of the world’s largest coalition of churches and church-related organizations engaged in humanitarian, development, and advocacy work. It consists of 144 members working together in over 120 countries, with headquarters in 73 countries, whose aim is to create a positive and sustainable change in the lives of poor and marginalized people regardless of their religion, politics, gender, sexual orientation, race or nationality in keeping with the highest international codes and standards. 64% of our members are headquartered in the Global South, 30% in the Global North, and 6% are Global members. For more details about the general work of ACT, please refer to http://www.actalliance.org/.
ACT Alliance’s structure is unique, with national, sub-regional and regional forums that bring local, national, regional, and international church-related organizations to work together under the same principles and standards, bringing different skills and expertise to support each other and leverage collective action in humanitarian, development, and advocacy engagement. Thanks to the presence of national ACT forums in over 50 countries, and of its global secretariat in strategic locations (Geneva, New York, Nairobi, Bangkok, Amman, Brussels, Toronto, and Bogota), ACT Alliance is able to bring local and regional concerns to the global arena.
About the role
The Latin-American Migration and Climate Justice Program Officer will support project cycle management to both programs a) Migration and Human Mobility and b) Climate Justice in Latin America and the Caribbean looking closely at the intersection between gender, migration, the environment and climate change and at the implications of this nexus on climate change adaptation, community resilience and sustainable development. The program officer will assist in developing the program’s implementation together with the Program Managers for (LAC), strengthening the program’s capacity, and assisting LAC forums in stepping up national and regional joint efforts. The program officer will also help strengthen advocacy efforts with a focus on the forums’ leadership and engagement and will assist the alliance in our forum-driven fundraising efforts related to the two programs he/she/they will be supporting. The Program Officer is responsible for supporting assigned projects or activities, partner coordination, work planning, reporting, communications, budget and contracts/administration for LAC.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support Program Managers and Regional Representative with regional efforts for the Migration and Human Mobility and the Climate Justice programs. This includes providing support with planning, developing, managing, and coordinating the program in the Latin America and the Caribbean region.
- Under the leadership of the Program Managers and Regional Representative, implement effective coordination of regional efforts for Migration and Human Mobility and Climate Justice to enhance joint action regarding advocacy and development-related programming to respond to people on the move’s needs, including coordinating together with the Program Managers the developing and implementation of regional roadmaps.
- Analyze migration trends and upcoming issues of relevance, donor priorities and funding opportunities. As needed, assist in the review of subregional or regional forum-led proposals.
- Develop close relationships with 15 national and 3 subregional forums to contribute to national forums strategic objectives in LAC regarding Migration and Human Mobility and Climate Justice. Promote and guarantee that any initiatives and actions are forum-driven.
- Provide guidance to members for subregional, regional or global advocacy opportunities. In this sense, contribute to the development of thematic national or regional reports, policy papers, public statements, key messages, meetings, events and visibility efforts for internal audience, donors, and external stakeholders strengthening forum-driven advocacy.
- Conduct member mapping and analyze assessments to identify specific capacity building and organizational development needs and provide targeted capacity strengthening support.
- Organize internal in-person or virtual meetings and events and represent the organization to external audiences.
- Ensures regular reporting to the Regional Representative and Program Managers.
- The Program Officer will also collaborate with the Gender Program for gender to be integrated in all policies and operations at all levels.
- Liaises with the Humanitarian Officer for mainstreaming climate justice in RRF’s and Appeal, when relevant and possible.
- Supports ACT communications work at the regional level.
- Assist with administrative and logistic tasks, including translation of documents from Spanish to English and vice versa and organizing events.
Experience and technical competencies:
- At least 5 years’ experience in migration or human mobility. Climate justice-related experience will also be valued when it relates to climate-induced migration.
- University degree in political science, international development, or any other relevant field.
- Sound knowledge in Human Mobility and Climate Justice regional and international advocacy.
- Experience in developing new and successful climate justice and/or migration and human mobility proposals.
- Familiarity or interest to work in coalitions, alliances, and partnerships.
- Full professional proficiency in Spanish and English.
- Ability to work under pressure and strong ability to multi-task.
- International travel availability
- Experience working for or with faith-based organizations and churches.
- Significant experience in training and/or liaising with national NGOs.
- Working knowledge of French and/or Portuguese an asset.
Competencies and Behaviors
- Readiness and commitment to work both on programmatic and administrative tasks and remain focused and motivated.
- Interest in being part of a team and being a team player, as well as contributing to a healthy work environment.
HOW TO APPLY
ACT provides equitable compensation and pension packages and flexible working conditions. ACT also applies a non-discriminatory approach to recruitment and celebrates a diverse workforce. Interested and qualified candidates should send only their CV and a cover letter, in English and by email only, to email@example.com by 12/05/2023 (24.00 CET). Please put “[name of position]” in the subject line and name your documents: “Firstname lastname CV” and “Firstname lastname Cover letter”. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please note that ACT adheres to the SCHR misconduct scheme https://www.schr.info/the-misconduct-disclosure-scheme. As part of reference checking, ACT will contact the current and former employer(s) of the preferred candidate, asking them to complete a Statement of Conduct form.
We ask for understanding that we are only able to contact shortlisted candidates.